You Are The Brightside: Best of 2017
Happy New Year from The Brightside! I hope this year brought all of you health, happiness and all the Party Pizzas that your heart desired! Just me with the Party Pizzas? Okay, fine.
This year was pretty exciting for me, partially because I started this blog. I decided that I was just kind of coasting along in life and, well, that’s no way to live. In order to feel ALIVE, I took more risks than I have before and it has paid off immensely. I started playing softball (if you know me, you know that this is a HUMONGOUS deal!) and I moved up into a supervisory position (I like my job WAY better now). While this isn’t taking a “risk” per se (unless you count the horrifying pedicab ride), I FINALLY went to Europe. Did you know that people really do walk around Paris gnawing on giant baguettes? It’s weird.
Ok, enough of that, back to the blog.
This year I’m going to work on posting more often and am going to include new features like the Brightside Biography. My first post (coming soon!) will be an interview that I did with a woman who was born into a cult. Yes, a CULT. I’m also going to continue to do my Brightside Booklist, which is wildly popular (okay that is a bit of an overstatement, but I’m aiming big here, people), and continue to post travel stories and other things related to crime, history, each every other weird thing that I like (and you do, too).
In honor of my first year of blogging, I’m going to post several of my favorite and/or most popular posts from 2017. Here they are, in no particular order.
- This is the post I did about changing my frown upside down, with the help of Andrew W.K.
- I went to a forensic training and wrote two posts about what I learned about psychopaths: this one and this one.
- I went to Paris and spent some time in Pere Lachaise cemetery (I was one of 3.5 million visitors last year!). I swear, this place was BEAUTIFUL and the tombs were unlike anything of seen in the plain ol’ midwest.
- If you’ve spent time on this blog, you know that Jeffrey Dahmer makes quite a few appearances. I did a review of the book that his father, Lionel, wrote about Jeffrey as he was growing up. People ate it up! *wink, wink*
- In the interest of balance, I posted this collection of THE cutest, happiest stories that I could find on the internet. It wasn’t my most popular post, but dammit, these made me cry and I know you could use a cry, too.
- Finally, my magnum opus of the year was this beast of a booklist that I made. If you like crime, stories of adventure, dysfunctional families, spiritual growth and North Korea, keep this list handy. There’s enough books on here to last a year (if you read a book a week, that is).
Well, there you have it! I hope you’ve found something worthwhile/crazy/revolting/inspiring on this blog this past year and I want to thank ALL of you. Those that share my posts, those that comment, people that send me private messages/texts with crazy stories I might like and, if you’re still reading this, YOU. It just makes me so ding-dang happy to know that all of you are out there supporting little ol’ me.
As I said, I’m aiming big this year. Would you help me out? Please share my posts, like my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/youarethebrightside/), share anything of interest you find on my Facebook page (then EVERYONE gets to share in the love) and, finally, subscribe. You can subscribe by entering your email address below or above the right sidebar on the front page. I also added a Goodreads thingamajig to the front page of my blog so you can browse through ALL of the books I’ve ever. Okay, not ALL, but there’s a lot on there, so check it out if you need a read.
You guys RULE. Here’s to 2018!
P.S. People often ask me if my blog can be accessed WITHOUT Facebook. The answer is YES and you can find it at youarethebrightside.com.